Tuesday, September 14, 2010

New Uses for Everyday Things



Have you ever felt like you don't have enough room in your house to store your seasonal decorations?  Have you accumulated so much stuff that you feel like Clark Griswold?  I've felt like this for awhile now, so I've been working really hard at trying to get rid of some of my seasonal decor.  With Fall just around the corner (even though Fall in the Porter house officially began September 1st!), this is the perfect time to try and scale down your Fall and Winter decorations.  This past weekend we hosted a yard sale and I sold 10 of my fake pumpkins...TEN!  *Gasp*  Don't worry my fellow Fall fanatics...I still have 14 fake pumpkins on display around the house...but they are small pumpkins and I promise you they don't take up much room ;)

A few of my pumpkins on display...

In order to scale down my decorations, I'm taking up a new motto --- get creative and decorate with what you have.  You don't need to go out and buy new decorations when there are so many ways to decorate with basic household items :)

A cake stand can be used as a candle holder!  Shhh...don't tell my husband
that I used his hacksaw to cut the candle down to the right height ;)
A teacup can be used as a topiary.  Just put something
on top to add a little seasonal flare!
A plate can be used as a welcome sign!  Just use
an Expo marker and write a sweet note!
Anybody else have a new use for an everyday item?  Send me a picture and I'll post it on my blog!


No comments:

Post a Comment